Place:


Barfreston  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barfreston like this:

BARFRESTON, or Barston, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; on the Dover and Canterbury railway, near Shepherd's Well station, and 6½ miles NW of Dover. Post town, Goodnestone, under Sandwich. Acres, 500. Real property, £641. Pop., 144. Houses, 26. The property is not much divided. ...


The manor belonged early to the see of Canterbury; and passed, in 1081, to Hugh de Port, constable of Dover. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £182.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church consists of nave and chancel, separated by a circular arch; is one of the most remarkable structures of its class in England; exhibits rich exterior decorations, in corbels, wreaths, and other sculptures; and was well restored in 1840.

Barfreston through time

Barfreston is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barfreston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barfreston, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5367

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barfreston ".