Place:


Dufton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dufton like this:

DUFTON, a township and a parish in East Ward district, Westmoreland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Eden, near Watling Street, and near the Eden Valley railway, 3½ miles NNE of Appleby town and r. station; includes the hamlet of Birkdale; and has a post office under Penrith. ...


The parish contains also the township of Keisley. Acres, 18, 129. Real property, £3, 646. Pop., 495. Houses, 101. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Milwards and others; and belongs now to Sir R. Tufton, Bart. An ancient mansion, to the north of the village, was converted many years ago into a sporting seat. Much of the land is moor and mountain, soaring into lofty peaks, and bearing the name of Dufton fells. Lead ore is mined and smelted. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £172.* Patron, Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £28.

Dufton through time

Dufton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dufton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dufton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5349

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dufton ".