In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meesden like this:
MEESDEN, a parish in Royston district, Herts; adjacent to Essex, 6½ miles E by N of Buntingford r. station. Post town, Buntingford. Acres, 1,008. Real property, £1,104. Pop., 163. Houses, 36. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £250. * Patron, W. G. Whatman, Esq. The church is plain but good, and has a bell-turret.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Meesden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Meesden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meesden in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Meesden".