Place:


Stoodleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoodleigh like this:

STOODLEIGH, a parish, with a village, in Tiverton district, Devon; 5 miles NNW of Tiverton r. station. It has a post-office under Tiverton. Acres, 4,336. Real property, £3,668. Pop., 499. Houses, 89. The manor, with S. Court, belongs to T. Daniel, Esq. S. Beacon was erected on Warbrightleigh hill by Edward II., and has left some remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £341.* Patron, T. Daniel, Esq. The church is ancient but good. There is a national school.

Stoodleigh through time

Stoodleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoodleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoodleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5318

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoodleigh ".