Place:


Wickham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickham like this:

WICKHAM, a parish, with a village, in Fareham district, Hants; on the river Titchfield, 4 miles N by E of Fareham r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Farcham, an inn, and a fair on 20 May. Acres, with W. Forest, 2,433. Real property, £5,214. Pop., 1,019. Houses, 201. The manor, with Rooksbury Park, belongs to J.Garnier, Esq. ...


Little Park is the seat of Mrs. Guitton. The living is a rectory n the diocese of Winchester. Value, £578.* Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church is cruciform, and was restored in 1862. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Handsome national schools were built in 1869. William of Wykeham, who died in 1404, was a native.

Wickham through time

Wickham is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wickham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickham, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5314

Date accessed: 21st July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wickham ".