Place:


St Giles in the Wood  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Giles in the Wood like this:

GILES' (St.) IN-THE-WOOD, or Stow-St-Giles, a parish in Torrington district, Devon; 3 miles E by S of Great Torrington, and 6 WSW of Umberleigh r. station. Post town, Torrington, North Devon. Acres, 4, 827. Real property, £3, 671. Pop., 962. Houses, 192. The property is divided among a few. ...


Stevenstone was the seat of the late Lord Rolle; and Winscott was the seat of the Barrys, and passed to the Hoopers. The living is a vicarage under Great Torrington, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130.* Patrons, the Heirs of Lord Rolle. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains many monuments of the Rolles and the Holes. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £16.

St Giles in the Wood through time

St Giles in the Wood is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Giles in the Wood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Giles in the Wood, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5306

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Giles in the Wood ".