Place:


Slough  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slough like this:

SLOUGH, a town in Upton-cum-Chalvey and Stoke-Poges parishes, Bucks; on the Great Western railway, at the junction of the branch to Windsor, 2 miles NNE of Windsor. It stands on gravelly soil; is remarkably salubrious; has grown rapidly from the condition of a village since the railway epoch; presents a well built and pleasant appearance; includes Upton-Park, consisting of 27 first-class residences, with a fine view of Windsor Castle; includes also Herschell House, the seat of successively Sir W. ...


H., and Sir J. H., where the former erected his large telescope, and made most of his discoveries; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. station with telegraph, two hotels, a police station, a Norman church restored in 1851, another church built in 1837, an Independent chapel of 1853, a Wesleyan chapel of 1847, a reading room, a mechanics' institute, the British orphan asylum, national schools, British schools, and a weekly cattle market on Tuesday. Pop. in 1861, 3,425. Houses, 627. Pop. in 1868, about 4,500.

Slough through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Slough has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Slough go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slough in Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/53

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slough ".