Place:


Hook  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hook like this:

HOOK, a hamlet and a chapelry in Kingston-uponThames parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies 2 miles S of Kingston r. station; is an ancient place; and was formerly called La Hoke. Acres, 663. Real property, £1, 037. Pop., 248. Houses, 56.—The chapelry was constituted in 1839; and its post town is Kingston, London SW. Pop., 370. Houses, 75. The chief landowners are the Earl of Lovelace and Thomas Cardus, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1838; and a national school was built in 1859.

Hook through time

Hook is now part of Kingston upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kingston upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hook, in Kingston upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5282

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hook ".