Place:


Haswell  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haswell like this:

HASWELL, a township in Easington parish, Durhamshire; on the Durham and Sunderland railway, 6½ miles E by N of Durham. It includes the hamlets of High H., Low H., and H. Moor; it is partly within tlie chapelry of Shotton, sometimes called Shotton with Haswell; and it has a station on the railway, and a postoffice‡ under Fence Houses. ...


Acres, 3, 108. Real property, £37, 291; of which £31, 716 are in mines, £5 in quarries, and £273 in railways. Pop., 4, 165. Houses, 846. The surface, about the beginuing of the present century, was nearly all moor; but now is mainly under cultivation. Coals are very extensively mined, and are seut for shipment at Hartlepool, Seaham-Harbour, and Sunderland. An explosion took place in one of the mines, in 1844, causing a loss of 90 lives. There are a church built in 1867, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a colliery school.

Haswell through time

Haswell is now part of Easington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Easington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haswell, in Easington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5273

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haswell ".