Place:


Grange  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grange like this:

GRANGE, a village and a chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the Winster estuary and on the Ulverstone and Lancaster railway, overlooking Morecambe bay, 2 miles ESE of Cartmel; is in much local repute as a watering-place; and has a station on the railway, and a post office† under Newton-in-Cartmel. ...


The chapelry does not seem to have defined limits; and no statistics of it are returned. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1853; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and round turret.

Grange through time

Grange is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grange itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grange, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/527

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grange ".