Place:


Lewtrenchard  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lewtrenchard like this:

LEW-TRENCHARD, a parish in Tavistock district, Devon; on the rivulet Lew, 1¾ mile N of Coryton r. station, and 8½ N by W of Tavistock. It contains the greater part of Lewdon village, which has a post office designated Lewdown, North Devon. Acres, 2,818. Real property, £2,320; of which £14 are in mines, and £50 in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851,436; in 1861,353. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Lew House and most of the land, belongs to E. B. Gould, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported.* Patron, E. B. Gould, Esq. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Goulds. There is a national school.

Lewtrenchard through time

Lewtrenchard is now part of West Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lewtrenchard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lewtrenchard in West Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5268

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lewtrenchard ".