Place:


Ferryhill  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ferryhill like this:

FERRY-HILL, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Merrington parish, Durham. The village stands near the Great-North of England railway, the Durham branch of the Clarence railway, and the terminus or junction of the Ferry-Hill and Hartlepool railway, 5¾ miles E by N of Bishop-Auckland; is a large and well-built place; was anciently called Feery; and gave name to a resident family. ...


The township includes also a new village, called Low Spennymoor, which is inhabited partly by coal-miners, and partly by workmen employed at adjacent foundries; and it has a railway station with telegraph, called Ferry-Hill Junction, a head post office, ‡ called Ferry-Hill, and another post office of Ferry-Hill Village, under Ferry-Hill. Acres, 2, 495. Real property, £7, 301; of which £3, 296 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 958; in 1861, 1, 423. Houses, 277. The chapelry includes also the township of Chilton; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 2, 879. Houses, 553. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £276.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is modern.

Ferryhill through time

Ferryhill is now part of Sedgefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ferryhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ferryhill, in Sedgefield and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5265

Date accessed: 22nd October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ferryhill ".