Place:


Knowstone  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowstone like this:

KNOWSTONE, a village and a parish in South Molton district, Devon. The village stands on an affluent of the river Mole, 3 miles from the boundary with Somerset, 8 miles E by S of South Molton, and 11½ NW of Tiverton r. station.—The parish contains also the hamlets of East Knowstone and Roachill; and its post-town is S. ...


Molton, under Tiverton. Acres, 4,989. Real property, £3,239. Pop., 511. Houses, 101. The manor belongs to Sir Robert Throckmorton, Bart. Large portions of the property belong to the Earl of Ilchester, J. F. Bellew, Esq., and J. Handford, Esq. Shapcott-Barton, a very ancient mansion, belongs to Mr. Handford; and Wadham was once the seat of the Courtenays. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Molland, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported.* Patron, Sir R. Throckmorton, Bart. The church is ancient; was recently repaired; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Culme and Shapcott families. Charities, £5. Sir J. Berry, the mariner, was a native.

Knowstone through time

Knowstone is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knowstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowstone in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5264

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knowstone ".