Place:


Osmaston  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osmaston like this:

OSMASTON, a village and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The village stands on an eminence, 2¼ miles S E by S of Ashborne r. station; was formerly called Osmaston-in-the-Wood; and has a post-office under Ashborne. The parish comprises 1, 254 acres. Real property, £2, 517. Pop. ...


in 1851, 366; in 1861, 289. Houses, 57. The decrease of pop. arose from temporary circumstances connected with the Manor Hall. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. Wright, Esq. O. Manor Hall is Mr. W. 'sseat, and was built in 1851. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200.* Patron, F. Wright, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1845; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave and aisles, with vestry and tower. There is a national school.

Osmaston through time

Osmaston is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osmaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osmaston in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5243

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osmaston ".