Place:


Ash  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ash like this:

ASH, a village in Farnborough district, and a parish in Farnborough and Farnham districts, Surrey. The village stands near the Southwestern railway, the Basingstoke canal, and the Blackwater river, 2 miles NW of Hog's Back, and 4 NE of Farnham; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Farnborough station. ...


The parish includes also the tything of Normandy, and the hamlet-chapelry of Frimley. Acres, 12,273. Rated property, £15,443. Pop., 4,164. Houses, 753. The property is much subdivided. The southern tracts are hilly, and party common. Ash Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £473.* Patron, Winchester college. The church has a plain Norman doorway, and is good. The rectory of Frimley and the p. curacy of York-Town are separate charges. Charities, £16.

Ash through time

Ash is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ash, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5231

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ash ".