Place:


Clayhidon  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayhidon like this:

CLAYHIDON, or Cleyhidon, a parish in the district of Wellington and county of Devon; on the river Culm and at the boundary with Somerset, 6 miles E of Tiverton-Junction r. station, and 9 NE by E of Collumpton. Post-town, Culmstock, under Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 5, 089. Real property, £5, 204. ...


Pop., 705. Houses, 137. The property is much subdivided. The surface rises, in lofty hills, from the river Culm to the watershed of the Black Downs. Two estates, Culm-Pyne, and Old Culm-Pyne, lie isolated within Hemyock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £508.* Patron, G. Burnaud, Esq. The church belongs to the 14th century; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with western tower; and contains an ancient piscina and a very ancient font. There are a small Baptist chapel, and charities £15.

Clayhidon through time

Clayhidon is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clayhidon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayhidon, in Taunton Deane and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5214

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clayhidon ".