Place:


Hasland  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hasland like this:

HASLAND, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Chesterfield parish, Derby. The village stands.1½ mile SE of Chesterfield town and r. station; is a scattered place; and has a post office under Chesterfield. The township s acreage is returned with the parish. Real property, £12, 492; of which £6, 000 are in mines, and 1, 193 in quarries. ...


Pop., in 1851, 1, 176: in 1861, 1, 999. Houses, 423. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coal mining and iron works. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Hasland Hall belonged to the Lowes, and passed to the Lucases. Bricks and tiles are made; and lace is largely manufactured.—The chapelry is less extensive thaii the township, and was constituted in 1851. Pop., 1, 107. Houses, 234. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Chesterfield. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Pi.imitive Methodists, and a national school.

Hasland through time

Hasland is now part of Chesterfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chesterfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hasland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hasland, in Chesterfield and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5213

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hasland ".