In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chittlehamholt like this:
CHITTLEHAM-HOLT, a chapelry in Chittlehampton parish, Devon; on the river Taw, 3½ miles SW of South Molton, and 5 E of Umberleighr. station. Post town, South Molton, North Devon. Pop., 317. The manor belongs to the family of Brown. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £82. Patrons, the Trustees of Lord Rolle. The church is a modern structure in the early English style, founded by the late Lord Rolle.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chittlehamholt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chittlehamholt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chittlehamholt in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chittlehamholt".