Place:


Charleton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charleton like this:

CHARLETON, a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands on a sea-creek, 2 miles SSE of Kingsbridge, and 11 S by E of Kingsbridge Road r. station; and is a straggling place, in two parts, called East and West. The parish includes also the hamlets of Goveton, Lidstone, and part of Frogmore Post Town, Kingsbridge. ...


Acres, 2,779; of which 400 are water. Real property, with Sherford, £7,451. Pop., 568. Houses, 127. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £522.* Patron, Mrs. J. Twysden. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower; and has an ancient carved screen.

Charleton through time

Charleton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charleton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5210

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Charleton ".