Place:


Handforth  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Handforth like this:

HANDFORTH-WITH-BOSDEN, a township in Cheadle parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Birmingham railway, 5 miles SW by S of Stockport. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester, both of the name of Handforth. Acres, 1, 781. Real property, £7, 966. Pop. of H. alone, 629; of B. alone, 1, 779. Houses, 117 and 377. Handforth Hall is now a farm house. Calico printing is extensively carried on. Mining also is carried on, but has decreased. There are a chapel of ease, and a national school.

Handforth through time

Handforth is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Handforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Handforth, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/521

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Handforth ".