Place:


Dingestow  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dingestow like this:

DINGESTOW, a parish and a sub-district in the district and county of Monmouth. The parish lies on the river Trothy, and on the Monmouth and Pontypool railway, 4½ miles WSW of Monmouth; and has a station on the railway. Post town, Monmouth. Acres, including the extra-parochial tract of Grace-Dieu Park, 1, 930. ...


Real property, £2, 229. Pop., 231. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. Dingestow Court, the seat of S. Bosanquet, Esq., is an old Tudor mansion re-pointed. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Llandaff; and, till 1868, was united with Tregare. Value, £144. Patrons, the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaff. The church adjoins traces of an ancient castle; and is good.—The sub-district contains fifteen parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 45, 407. Pop., 5, 459. Houses, 1, 185.

Dingestow through time

Dingestow is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dingestow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dingestow in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5193

Date accessed: 19th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dingestow ".