Place:


Bickleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickleigh like this:

BICKLEIGH, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; on the river Exe, 4 miles S of Tiverton r. station. Post Town, Tiverton. Acres, 1,835. Real property, £2,141. Pop., 254. Houses, 55. The property is divided among three. The manor belonged anciently to the Bickleighs, and passed to the Courteneys, and then to the Carews. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £420.* Patron, Sir W. P. Carew. The church is a neat structure of nave, south aisle, chancel, and western tower; and contains some handsome monuments of the Carews. Charities, £28. Bamfylde Moore Carew, born in 1690, the son of a rector of the parish, and popularly known as "King of the Beggars," was a native.

Bickleigh through time

Bickleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bickleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5192

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bickleigh ".