Place:


Amport  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amport like this:

AMPORT, a parish in Andover district, Hants; on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, near Grateley station, 5 miles WSW of Andover. It includes the tythings of Sarson and East Cholderton; and has a post office‡ under Andover. Acres, 3,933. Real property, with Monxton, £6,988. Pop. ...


of Amport, 706. Houses, 156. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Winchester, and has descended to him from the Norman house of De Port, the common ancestors of the Paulets and the St. Johns. Amport House, the seat of the Marquis, has just been rebuilt, in the Tudor style, after designs by Mr. Burns; and stands in a pleasant undulating park much marked with single trees. The living is a vicarage, united till 1865 with Appleshaw, in the dio. of Winchester. Value, £590.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is chiefly in the late decorated style, with a central tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There are also an endowed school and en dowed almshouses, with jointly £150 a year.

Amport through time

Amport is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amport, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5180

Date accessed: 19th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amport ".