Place:


Longparish  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longparish like this:

LONGPARISH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Andover district, Hants. The village stands on the river Test or Anton, 4 miles SW of Whitchurch r. station, and 4 E of Andover. The parish contains the tythings of East Aston, West Aston, Forton, and Middleton. Post town, Whitchurch, under Micheldever Station. ...


Acres, 5,250. Real property, £5,076; of which £51 are in fisheries. Pop., 803. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Widmore family. Longparish House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £226. Patron, the Rev. H. Woodcock. The church is ancient and good. There are a Baptist chapel and a small education charity.—The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 27,353. Pop., 4,284. Houses, 890.

Longparish through time

Longparish is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longparish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longparish, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5170

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longparish ".