Place:


Calbourne  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calbourne like this:

CALBOURNE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the Isle of Wight. The village stands 5 miles WSW of Newport; and has a post office under Newport. The parish includes also Newtown borough; and extends from Brixton Down to the Solent. Acres, 6,397; of which 265 are water. Real property, £4,471. ...


Pop., 728. Houses, 145. The property is divided among a few. Westover manor belonged to the Esturs; passed to the Lisles and the Holmeses; and belongs now to the eldest son of Lord Heytesbury, in right of his wife, the daughter of the late Sir Leonard W. Holmes. The house on it is modern; and the grounds are tasteful. Calbourne Bottom, 1¼ mile SSW of the village, is a depression between Brixton and Moltestone downs. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Newtown, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £675.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is early English, much modernized; and has a brass of 1480.-The subdistrict contains eight parishes. Acres, 25,050. Pop., 5,417. Houses, 1,071.

Calbourne through time

Calbourne is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calbourne, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5165

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calbourne ".