Place:


Whitefield  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitefield like this:

STAND, or Whitefield, a chapelry, with a village, in Pilkington township, Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Radcliffe r. station, and 5½ NNW of Manchester. It was constituted in 1829; and it has a post-office† under Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 8,958. Houses, 1,824. ...


There are many good residences. Cotton manufacture, and employments akin to it, are largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £270.* Patron, the Earl of Wilton. The church was built in 1826, at a cost of £15,000; is in the pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower, 186 feet high. There are four dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a large national school,-the last used as a chapel of ease.

Whitefield through time

Whitefield is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitefield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitefield, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/515

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitefield ".