In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Costessey like this:
COSSEY, or Costessey, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Forehoe district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, 4½ miles NW of Norwich; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a post office, of the name of Cossey, under Norwich. The parish comprises 3, 040 acres. ...
Real property, £5, 509. Pop., 1, 047. Houses, 244. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, after the Conquest, to Alan, Earl of Richmond; passed, in the time of Henry II., to the Crown; went back to the Earls of Richmond, and back again to the Crown; formed part of the dowry of Queen Anne of Cleves; was given, in 1557, to Sir Henry Jermingham; and has descended from him to Lord Stafford. Cossey Hall, Lord Stafford's seat, dates from the time of Sir Henry Jermingham; was rebuilt in pure Tudor style, after designs by Buckler; has an elegant chapel, in the pointed style, 90 feet long and 35 feet wide; contains a number of interesting portraits; and stands in a beautiful park of upwards of 900 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Corporation of Norwich. The church has a square tower, with wooden spire, and is good; and there are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels.The sub-district contains fourteen parishes. Acres, 15, 618. Pop., 4, 116. Houses, 922.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Costessey in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Costessey ".