Place:


Woodstock  Oxfordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Woodstock like this:

Woodstock, ancient chartered bor., market town, and par., Oxfordshire, on river Glyme, 2½ miles W. of Woodstock Road sta. and 8 miles NW. of Oxford, 62 ac., pop. 1133; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Tuesday. Woodstock is a well-built place, with spacious streets. It has long been known for its mfrs. ...


of gloves. It is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and early had a royal palace, which stood in the park of Blenheim, the seat of the Duke of Marlborough. As a royal residence Woodstock frequently appears in history. It gives name to one of Scott's romances. It was first chartered by Henry VI. It returned 2 members to Parl. from the time of Elizabeth until 1832, and 1 member from 1832 (when the parl. limits were extended) until 1885.

Woodstock through time

Woodstock is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodstock in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/514

Date accessed: 21st January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodstock ".