Place:


Santon  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Santon like this:

DOWNHAM-SANTON, a parish in Thetford district, Suffolk; on the river Ouse and the Norfolk railway, at the boundary with Norfolk, 2¼ miles E of Brandon r. station. Post town, Brandon. Acres, 3, 860. Real property, £939. Pop., 81. Houses, 18. A sand-drift, in 1668, blowing hither from Lakeneath, overwhelmed upwards of 1, 500 acres of the land, and nearly choked the river. Downham Hall is the seat of Lord William Powlett. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £59. Patron, Dowager Duchess of Cleveland.

Santon through time

Santon is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Santon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Santon, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5139

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Santon ".