Place:


St Dennis  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Dennis like this:

DENNIS (St.), a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands 5 miles SE of St. Columb-Major, and 5 NW of St. Austell r. station; and has a post office under St. Austell, and fairs on 23 May and 24 October. The parish comprises 3, 100 acres. Real property, £3, 567; of which £1, 311 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 993. Houses, 198. Most of the property belongs to Lady Grenville. The rocks include tin and porcelain clay; and are mined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £253.* Patron, Hon. G. M. Fortescue. The church stands on a hill. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £39.

St Dennis through time

St Dennis is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Dennis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Dennis, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5109

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Dennis ".