Place:


West Looe  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Looe like this:

LOOE (WEST), a small town in Talland parish, Cornwall; on the W bank of the river Looe, opposite East Looe. It is practically one town with East Looe; communicates immediately with it by the bridge across the river; has the same kind of character, as to both site and structure; and shares in its business. ...


It once had a weekly market, and still has a fair on 6 May. It also was made a borough by charter of Elizabeth; sent two members to parliament, till disfranchised by the reform bill; and is still nominally governed by a mayor and burgesses. It has a lately restored old church, an Independent chapel, and an endowed school with £45 a year. Real property, £1,013. Pop., 770. Houses, 161.

West Looe through time

West Looe is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Looe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Looe, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5102

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Looe ".