Place:


Lepton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lepton like this:

LEPTON, a township in Kirkheaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the York and Manchester railway, 4 miles E by S of Huddersfield. It contains the post office of Fenay-Bridge, under Huddersfield; and the villages or hamlets of Great Lepton, Little Lepton, Cowms, Gawthorp, Highgate-Lane, Lascelles-Hall, Lidget, Rowley, and Waterloo. ...


Acres, 1,651. Real property, £5,403; of which £150 are in mines, and £9 in quarries. Pop. in 1851,3,592; in 1861,3,273. Houses, 737. The woollen manufacture is largely carried on. A national school was erected in 1860, at a cost of £1,300; and is used as a chapel of ease. A Wesleyan chapel is at Cowms; a Primitive Methodist chapel, at Leptonfields; and mechanics' institutes at Leptonfields and LascellesHall.

Lepton through time

Lepton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lepton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lepton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/510

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lepton ".