In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cilcain like this:
CILCEN, or Kilken, a village and a parish in Holywell district, Flint. The village stands near the river Alen, under Moel-Fammau hill, 4 miles W by N of Mold r. station, and 7¾ S of Holywell; and has a post office under Flint. The parish contains the townships of Llan, in which the village is situated, Cefyn, Llysdan-hunedd, Llys-y-coed, Maes-y-groes, Mechlas, and Trellynian. Acres, 6, 403. Real property, £5, 955; of which £430 are in mines. Pop., 1, 028. Houses, 223. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £300.* Patron the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church has a beautiful carved roof, said to have been brought from Basingwerk abbey; and it contains a very remarkable font, and was recently restored. The p. curacy of Rhydymwyn, constituted in 1863, is a separate benefice.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cilcain has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cilcain and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cilcain in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th June 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cilcain".