Place:


Church Stoke  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Stoke like this:

CHURCH-STOKE, a township in the district and county of Montgomery; and a parish in the district of Montgomery, and counties of Montgomery and Salop. The township lies on Offa's dyke and the river Camlet-near the Oswestry and Newtown railway, 3¼ miles SE of Montgomery; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. ...


Acres, 1,560. Real property, £1,939. Pop., 1,369. Houses, 283. The parish contains also the townships of Bacheldre, Lower Hopton, Upper Hopton, Weston-Madoc, Hurdley, and Mellington in Montgomery, and the townships of Brompton and Rhiston in Salop. Acres, 10,547. Real property, £9,314. Pop., 1,545. Houses, 314. The property is much subdivided. Lead ore is found. Traces of British and Roman camps appear. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £151.* Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is good. Charities, £13.

Church Stoke through time

Church Stoke is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Stoke, in Powys and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5095

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church Stoke ".