In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakington like this:
OAKINGTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton. district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 1¾ mile N E of the Via Devana, and 4¼ N W of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, with a postal pillar under Cambridge. The parish contains also the hamlet of West-wick, and comprises 1, 757 acres. ...
Real property, £3, 933. Pop. in 1851, 694; in 1861, 562. Houses, 137. The decrease of pop. arose from emigration, and from the removal of dilapidated cottages. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £199. Patron, Queen's College, Cambridge. The church was repaired in 1850; and there were found, under its ancient reading-desk, a lid-covered stone coffin and three massive stone coffin-lids of the 14th century. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £50.
Oakington is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oakington itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oakington in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oakington ".