In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sherborne like this:
Sherborne.-- market town and par. with ry. sta., Dorset, 4¾ miles NE. of Yeovil Junction, 18 miles N. of Dorchester, and 118 SW. of London - par., 6467 ac., pop. 5636; town (comprising parts of Sherborne and Castletonpars.), 411 ac., pop. 5053; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Thursday and Saturday. Sherborne was the seat of a bishoprie from 705 until about 1075, when the see was removed to Old Sarum. The parish church was the church of the abbey, founded in 998 on the site of an earlier cathedral church; recently restored by the Digbys, it is one of the finest minsters in the south of England. ...
The grammar school is now one of the largest publie schools in the kingdom. On an eminence near the town are the remains of the Norman castle built in the time of Stephen, and stormed by Fairfax in 1645. In the castle grounds is an Elizabethan mansion (Sherborne Castle), seat of the Digby family, built by Sir Walter Raleigh. Bradley (1692-1762), the astronomer, was a native of Sherborne, which has glove making, button and lace making, and silk throwing.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sherborne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sherborne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherborne in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sherborne".