Place:


Great Salkeld  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Salkeld like this:

SALKELD (Great), a parish, with a village, in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, near Force-Mill fall, 4½ miles E S E of Plumpton r. station, and 5¼ N E by N of Penrith. It has a post-office under Penrith, and a bridge. Acres, 3, 724. Real property, £3, 811. Pop., 502. ...


Houses, 93. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Remains exist of Dyke and Aikton-Castle camps, and of the pier of an ancient bridge destroyed by a flood in 1360. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £345.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient; and has a tower, which formerly was fortified. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. Bishop Law and Arch-deacon Paley were rectors; and the nonconformist Dr. Benson and Chief-Justice Ellenborough were natives.

Great Salkeld through time

Great Salkeld is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Salkeld itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Salkeld, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5077

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Salkeld ".