Place:


Kirklinton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirklinton like this:

KIRK-LINTON, or Kirk-Levington, a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland; on the river Line, 4 miles ESE of Longtown r. station. It contains the townships of West Linton, Middle Quarter, and Hethersgill; and has a post office, of the name of Kirk-Linton, under Carlisle. Acres, 7, 800. Real property, £12, 119. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,869; in 1861, 1, 749. Houses, 359. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Kirk-Linton Hall is the seat of the Dacre family; succeeded a former ancient seat, called Clough Hall; and commands a view to the Solway frith. The parish is a meet for the Carlisle harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94-* Patron, J. Dacre, Esq. The church stands in Middle Quarter, has Norman traces, and is good. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans, and an endowed school.

Kirklinton through time

Kirklinton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirklinton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirklinton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5072

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirklinton ".