Place:


Eskdale  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eskdale like this:

ESKDALE, a chapelry in St. Bees parish, Cumberland; on the river Esk, 7 miles NE by E of Ravenglass r. station. It has a post office under Whitehaven. Acres, 13, 000. Real property, with Wasdale, £1, 728. Pop., 346. Houses, 63. The property is much sub-divided. The surface consists largely of moor and mountain. Micaceous iron ore is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £66.* Patron, W. Stanley, Esq. The church is very good; and there are charities £10.

Eskdale through time

Eskdale is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eskdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eskdale, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5068

Date accessed: 21st August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eskdale ".