Place:


Wrenbury  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrenbury like this:

WRENBURY, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, the Ellesmere canal, and the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 5 miles SW of Nantwich; and has a post-office under Nantwich, a r. station, an inn, and fairs on 25 March and 25 Sept. ...


The township is called W.-with-Frith, and comprises 2,078 acres. Real property, £3,631. Pop., 531. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley. W. Hall is the seat of Major Starkey.—The parish includes 5 other townships and a part; and comprises 15,698 acres. Pop., 2,505. Houses, 484. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Aeton. The church is plain. There are four Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £79.—The sub-district contains also Baddiley parish and parts of Audlem and Malpas; and comprises 30,139 acres. Pop., 6,033. Houses, 1,229.

Wrenbury through time

Wrenbury is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrenbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrenbury, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5060

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrenbury ".