Place:


Chepstow  Monmouthshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Chepstow like this:

Chepstow, market town, river-port, and par., with ry. sta., Monmouthshire, on SE. border of co., 17 miles NE. of Newport and 142 miles W. of London -- par. and town, 1096 ac. and 187 ac. tidal water and foreshore, pop. 3591; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper.Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday; is situated on the Wye, 2 miles from its junction with the Severn, amidst scenery of much beauty and grandeur. ...


C. has a river and coast trade in coal, iron, timber, bark, cider, &c. Chepstow is now a sub-port of Gloucester. The river is navigable for large vessels as far as the bridge, but from the narrowness and depth of the channel the tide forms a dangerous bore, frequently rising to the height of 50 ft., and even higher. The castle (11th century), which stands on the summit of a cliff washed by the Wye, gradually sank into ruins after its capture by Cromwell, but is still a magnificent pile.

Chepstow through time

Chepstow is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chepstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chepstow in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/505

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chepstow ".