Place:


Haddenham  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haddenham like this:

HADDENHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands near the river Thame and the boundary with Oxford, 3 miles NNE of Thame; was once a market town; and has a post office‡ under Thame. The parish comprises 3, 150 acres. Real property, £7, 443. ...


Pop., 1, 623. Houses, 368. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Baroness Wenman. There are two mineral springs. Many of the inhabitants are workers of pillow lace. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £370. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is Norman; has a square tower; and is in tolerable condition. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £46.—The sub-district contains nine parishes and part of another. Acres, 19, 221. Pop., 4, 652. Houses, 1, 016.

Haddenham through time

Haddenham is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haddenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haddenham, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5045

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haddenham ".