Place:


Shrivenham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shrivenham like this:

SHRIVENHAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Berks. The village stands near the Wilts and Berks canal, 1 mile N of the Great Western railway, and 5¼ SW of Faringdon; was once a market-town; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office,‡ designated Shrivenham, Berkshire. ...


The parish includes two tythings and three townships. Acres, 8,430. Real property, £16,888. Pop., 2,258. Houses, 484. The manor, with Beckett House, belongs to Viscount Barrington. S. House is the seat of A. Sartoris, Esq. There are several handsome villas. The living is a vicarage, with Watchfield chapelry, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £550.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English. The p. curacy of Longcot is a separate benefice. There are a reading and news room, a national school, alms houses with £84 a year, and other charities £24.—The sub-district contains five parishes, and two parts; and is in Faringdon district. Acres, 19,114. Pop., 4,521. Houses, 958.-The hundred contains six parishes, and three parts. Acres, 30,590. Pop., 5,684. Houses, 1,188.

Shrivenham through time

Shrivenham is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shrivenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shrivenham, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5029

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shrivenham ".