Place:


Hartford  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartford like this:

HARTFORD, a village in Great Budworth parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Weaverham parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, adjacent to the Northwestern railway, 1 ½ mile SW of Northwich; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office under Northwich, and fairs on 12 April and 12 Oct. ...


The chapelry comprises 1, 102 acres. Real property, £4, 979. Pop., 987. Houses, 214. Pop. of the Great Budworth portion, 969. Houses, 209. The manor belonged formerly to the Twemlows. Hartford Manor, Hartford Hall, Hartford House, Hartford Grange, and Woodlands are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £117. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a brick building, with a tower. There is a national school.

Hartford through time

Hartford is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartford, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5011

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartford ".