Place:


Fawley  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fawley like this:

FAWLEY (North), a parish in Wantage district, Berks; near Icknield-street, 5 miles S by W of Wantage, and 7 S by E of Faringdon Road r. station. It includes the liberties of South Fawley and Watcombe. Post town, Brightwaltham, under Wantage. Acres, 2, 870. Real property, £2, 452. Pop., 243. Houses, 52. The manor belonged to the nunnery of Ambresbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, not reported. Patrons, Mr. and Mrs. Wroughton. The church is good.

Fawley through time

Fawley is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fawley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fawley in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5006

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fawley ".