Place:


Drayton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drayton like this:

DRAYTON, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Berks and Wilts canal, 1¼ mile W of the river Thames, 13/4 N of Steventon r. station, and 2 SW of Abingdon; has a head post office, of the name of Drayton, Berkshire; and was desolated by fire in 1780. ...


The parish comprises 1, 950 acres. Real property, £3, 976. Pop., 605. Houses, 147. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £255. Patron, Col. Loyd Lindsay. The church is ancient, and has a curious Norman font. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £37.

Drayton through time

Drayton is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drayton, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5005

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drayton ".