Place:


Grimsby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Grimsby like this:

Grimsby, or Great Grimsby, parl. and mun. bor., seaport, and par., N. Lincolnshire, near the mouth of r. Humber, 15 m. SE. of Hull and 155 m. from London -- parl. bor., 16,330 ac., pop. 45,351; mun. bor. and par., 1737 ac., pop. 28,503; 2 Banks, 4 newspapers.Market-day, Frid. Although Grimsby is an ancient town, much of its modern progress is due to its suitability as a fishing station for the North Sea fleets, and to the facilities offered by the railway for the conveyance of the fish to populous centres. ...


Five Hull trawlers made the town their headquarters in 1858, and since that year it has become the most important fishing port in Britain. It has large docks, and conducts an important direct trade with the Continent. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Shipbuilding, cordage mfr., flaxmills. tanneries, and breweries form leading industries. At NW. end of Middle Shoals, in mouth of Humber, is a light-vessel, with fixed light (Grimsby) seen 7 miles. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.

Grimsby through time

Grimsby is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grimsby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimsby in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5

Date accessed: 19th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grimsby ".