Place:


Uffculme  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uffculme like this:

UFFCULME, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tiverton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Culm, 2¾ miles NE of Tiverton-Junction r. station; was anciently called Upculm; was long, from 1266, a market-town; carries on malting, brewing, and woollen manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Cullompton, and three annual fairs. ...


The parish contains also 8 hamlets, and comprises 6,122 acres. Real property, £11,555. Pop., 2,020. Houses, 441. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Lancaster. Bradfield House has belonged, since the time of King John, to the family of Walrond. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350. Patron, the Prebendary of Uffculme. The church was recently restored and enlarged, and the tower and spire rebuilt. There are an Independent chapel, two Baptist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £47 a year, a national school, and charities £11.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 17,778. Pop., 5,229. Houses, 1,128.

Uffculme through time

Uffculme is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uffculme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uffculme in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4995

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uffculme ".