Place:


Sharnbrook  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sharnbrook like this:

SHARNBROOK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the Leicester and Hitchin railway, 7½ miles N N W of Bedford; is a polling-place; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Bedford. ...


The parish comprises 2, 880 acres. Real property, £3, 690. Pop., 867. Houses, 171. The manor belongs to AdmiralGambier. S. House, Colworth, and Waterside House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. There are two Baptist chapels and a national school; and one of the chapels was enlarged in 1865.—The sub-district contains six parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 13, 683. Pop., 2, 894. Houses, 593.

Sharnbrook through time

Sharnbrook is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sharnbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sharnbrook, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4990

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sharnbrook ".