Place:


Lower Halstow  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Halstow like this:

HALSTOW (LOWER), a parish in Milton district, Kent; at the upper end of Stangate creek, between the Medway and the Swale, 3 miles ENE of Rainham r. station, and 4½ NW of Sittingbourne. Post town, Sittingbourne. Acres, 1,891; of which 280 are water. Real property, £3, 354. Pop., 399. ...


Houses, 78. The property is divided among a few. Part of the land is marsh. An ancient village, inhabited by potters, seems to have been there; and an old embankment, to protect the land from the sea, and filled with broken tiles and pottery, isnear the church. Brick making now employs many of the inhabitants; and there is a quay on one of the creeks of the Medway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £245. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is ancient but good; is possibly of Saxon origin; includes much Roman masonry in its walls; and has a small tower. Charities, £14.

Lower Halstow through time

Lower Halstow is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Halstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Halstow, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4974

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Halstow ".